Unearth Prehistoric Treasures
The coastline here is a World Heritage Site and a geological Site of Special Scientific Interest. It is protected by law and should be treated with respect.
There is a fossil collecting code of conduct which includes the following:
- Stay away from the cliffs as rock falls can happen at any time.
- Fossils can be found on the beaches – the best place to look is where the sea has washed away soft clays and sands.
- Always look on a falling tide so that you don’t get cut off by waves.
- Do not hammer into the cliffs.
- Please leave rocks and stones on the beach where they are meant to be!
If you find any scientifically important fossils they should be recorded at the Visitor Centre.