The History of Lulworth Castle and Park
Land where Lulworth Castle now stands was first acquired by Thomas Howard, son of the 2nd Duke of Norfolk by marrying one of the last of the de Newburgh family. Also acquired at this time was land at the Bindon Abbey Estate. In 1575 Queen Elizabeth made him Viscount Bindon and in the same year Thomas built a large country house on the site of Bindon Abbey. Thomas was a wealthy man who held high office at the time, including that of Vice Admiral of Dorset, and defender of the Dorset coast against smuggling and piracy.
Thomas Howard was succeeded in 1582 by Henry, a man who associated with pirates and who ill-treated his wife. In the same year, Henry's aunt also died leaving him to inherit the rest of the abbey estates.
When Henry died, his brother Thomas inherited and re-established the de Newburgh deer park and built the Castle as a hunting lodge to host hunting parties for the King.
Over the years, the castle has seen a number of uses, occupants and a varied and colourful history. There have been a number of significant events at the Castle, some like the fire of 1929 were devastating, others less so but equally as important in the Castle's history.